Monday, October 15, 2012

Shopping For Coffee


 
One of Hilo's most interesting attractions is the Hilo Farmer's Market. Packed with vegetables, fruits, honey, soap, ethnic foods, clothes, handcrafts and yes, coffee, the Hilo Farmer's market operates on Wednesdays, Saturdays and Sundays from however early you can manage to wake up to about 2 o'clock in the afternoon.
 
Big Island Coffee/ Kimchi booth at the Hilo Farmer's Market
Photo by Arah Ko 
 
The Hilo Farmer's Market has booths selling over half a dozen different Big Island coffee brands, so one bright Saturday morning I stopped by the market and picked up one of every brand I could find, determined to have my own home coffee tasting.
 
 
Divine Hawaiin coffee booth
Photo by Arah Ko

 
It didn't take me long to figure out that coffee tastings are actually called coffee cuppings. (Thank you wikipedia!) The coffee I bought was all medium roast and if I could get it, whole bean. I purchased coffee from Buddha's Cup, Big Island Coffee, Big Island Roasters, Kona Mountain, Divine Hawaiian Coffee and Sharkie's. I will be posting about the individual brands as well as the result of the coffee cupping soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment